Sunday, June 15, 2008

Being a Father Means...

.......holding the chunky one on your hip...even when you have to mow;





....acting like a kid with your kids;



....finding amazement in everything your newborn does;




....taking advantage of those quiet moments;




...being the rock your daughters grasp to;




....teaching the things you love to your children;




....loving your kids so deeply, it hurts :)




....creating wonderful memories;




....realizing that each of your children are blessings;




....being a loving guide;




....always being there




with a watchful eye and arms ready to wrap around;




....being a true friend;




....and protector




....of our three precious miracles.

I can't tell you how hard it is that Seth is not here today. (He is in South Dakota for military). I look forward to Father's Day every year because it is one special day where I can truly spoil him and let him know that I have ZERO complaints about the kind of Dad he is. He makes up for everything I lack. He is patient, loving, humble, and calm when he deals with the girls...all things I do not possess! He understands that everything he does is teaching the girls what to expect in their husbands. Talk about big shoes to fill!
I think Seth's story is pretty amazing so I would like to share it today.
First, Seth took on the challenge of coming into a 'pre-made' family. Taylor was 2 and a half when we met him. She was also the kind of kid who had a major 'stranger-danger' complex. If Taylor didn't see you every day, she would cry if you even looked at her. But for some reason she took to Seth instantly...wanting to play peek-a-boo and hold his hand everywhere. I swear kids just know things!
About a year after we were married, Seth legally adopted Taylor in June and the next month we found out we were expecting Reagan. Talk about diving head first into this Dad thing! Then, only 2 weeks after we found out I was pregnant, the doctor told us Seth had testicular cancer and had to have surgery and chemotherapy for 7 months...my entire pregnancy! Seth's biggest fear was if the cancer was resistant and the chemo had to last longer than 7 months, he would not be able to hold Reagan the first couple months of her life because the meds he was on seeped through his skin and Reagan might absorb the chemicals. What a huge blessing it was when he finished a month before my due date...just long enough for his hair to grow back and the chemicals to be out of his system. Needless to say, we were all crying when he got to hold her! The doctor also told Seth not to expect to be able to have any more children...his body has been through a lot. When Seth was cancer-free for one year, he had a TON of tests done to make sure everything was okay..including a fertility test. He was told that he would not be able to have any more kids...we weren't surprised and felt very lucky to have our two girls! Less than a month later....the doctor gives ME some news...WHAT?!? I'm pregnant? But......but......
So here comes our miracle baby #3. I don't think I can handle any more blessings! Of course, now, we can't imagine our lives without our Little Bit! We know how lucky we are and Seth shows it every day when he always gives 110% as a dad.
I love you so much, Seth! Happy Father's Day!

4 comments:

sandals said...

Okay, that is seriously so sweet it made me cry! You guys have an amazingly special story!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, me too...where's the kleenex! Thanks for sharing his wonderful story. I'm sorry he's away today. Here's to happy reunions!

Amelia said...

Aw, Jill, I am so happy you have found someone like him!

Hamblin Family said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Just love yours... the stories, the photos, everything is so cute. Happy Fathers Day to Seth. What a great Dad!